Brutal, Real and Brilliant
1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED that we got to see Helene’s, Laia’s and Elias’ view points again, with the added addition of OPENING AND CLOSING WITH THE NIGHTBRINGER? I actually dropped the book in surprise when I saw the first chapter starting with his name. It was SUCH A BRILLIANT EDITION to Reaper and I honestly loved it.
2. We should just give Sabaa Tahir the official title of, “Making readers fall in love with characters and then breaking them (both) slowly.” Yes, I realise it’s not a very effective title but IT APPLIES, OKAY? Laia, Helene and Elias had such HEART-BREAKING personal journeys through the book, but especially Helene and Elias.
3. A Reaper at the Gates made me, for the first time in the series, truly appreciate Keris Vetruia’s cunning and determination. Her political machinations (and Sabaa Tahir’s, by extension) were brilliant and were such a great addition to the plot.
4. CAN WE ALSO PLEASE TALK ABOUT HOW ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL THIS GREEN AND BLACK COVER IS? I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
5. Oh, the ending. The prophecy. The sacrifices. The magic. A Reaper at the Gates was all kinds of perfect, and I absolutely loved it. SOMEONE GIVE ME BOOK FOUR NOW.
Would I recommend this book? YES (AND BY EXTENSION, THE WHOLE SERIES, OBVIOUSLY)
Sabaa Tahir is a GENIUS PLOTTER and her characters have so much DEPTH. This world is brutal, real, brilliant and if you’re a fantasy fan, DIVE IN NOW!