Labour and the Politics of Empire
Britain and Australia 1900 to the Present
Overview - This is a pathbreaking comparative and trans-national study of the neglected influences of nation, empire and race upon the development and electoral fortunes of the Labour Party in Britain and the Australian Labor Party from their formative years of the 1900s to the elections of 2010. (view more)
Publisher Manchester University Press
Full description & bibliography
This is a pathbreaking comparative and trans-national study of the neglected influences of nation, empire and race upon the development and electoral fortunes of the Labour Party in Britain and the Australian Labor Party from their formative years of the 1900s to the elections of 2010.
Based upon extensive primary and secondary source-based research in Britain and Australia over several years, it makes a new and original contribution to the fields of labour, imperial and 'British world' history. The book offers the challenging conclusion that the forces of nation, empire and race exerted much greater influence upon Labour politics in both countries than suggested by 'traditionalists' and 'revisionists' alike. The book will appeal to undergraduates, postgraduates, scholars in history and politics and all those interested in and concerned with the past, present and future of Labour politics in Britain, Australia and more generally.
Table of contents
- Part I: Setting the scene 1. Subject matter, debates and issues 2. Labour and elections Part II: The growth of independent Labour 3. Chronology, constituencies, impact 4. Explanations and characteristics Part III: The politics of loyalism 5. Anti-Socialism and the tarring of Labour 6. Labour responses and political outcomes Part IV: Mixed fortunes: From the 1940s World War to the 1970s class war 7. Labour successes: the 1940s 8. Out in the cold 9. Transnational ties, electoral successes and bitter defeats Part V: Traditionalism, modernisation and revisionism 10. Successes and failures 11. From Hawke and Keating to the rise of New Labour, 1983-1997 12. From Howard to Gillard, from Blair to Brown, 1997-2010 Conclusion Index
- History, politics & philosophy books > History books > History: specific events & topics > Colonialism & imperialism
- History, politics & philosophy books > History books > History: earliest times to present day > 20th century history: c 1900 to c 2000
- History, politics & philosophy books > History books > Regional & national history > European history > British & Irish history
- History, politics & philosophy books > History books > Regional & national history > Australasian & Pacific history
Be the first to review this book.
- Free Worldwide Delivery
Wordery offer FREE worldwide delivery on ALL orders. Yes that's correct, there are no postage charges on any orders with wordery.com
We send all orders via Royal Mail in the UK and via priority air mail outside the UK.
We will always try to send your order in as few packages as possible. However sometimes we have to send your items separately, but we’ll display this clearly in My Account orders.
- Delivery Times
The expected delivery time for each item is clearly listed on each product page and in checkout.
Postal services vary around the world and delivery speed depends on the delivery country and the item you are ordering.
As a guide most items will be delivered in the following times:
- United Kingdom 3-5 working days
- Europe 7-10 working days
- USA and Canada up to 14 working days
- Australia and New Zealand 7-10 working days
- Rest of the World 7-14 working days
- Express Delivery - next working day
Most of our bestselling lines are available for express delivery within the UK. For a single small charge of £1.95, all qualifying books in your order will be upgraded to Express Delivery.
Express Delivery is a secure and signed for next working day courier service. Order before 5pm and your order will be with you the following working day. (Express Delivery to Northern Ireland, Highlands and Islands is a 48 hour service and you need to order by 15:00.)
We hope to soon offer upgraded delivery on our whole 8 million book range and to all countries worldwide. Watch this space!
Next working day delivery (Monday – Friday, excluding public holidays).
Print on Demand Books
Some specialist and hard to find titles are printed specially for you for your order. These print on demand titles take a few days extra to deliver and this is reflected in the delivery times on the product page.
Top tips for reviewing
- Tell us why you liked or disliked the book; using examples and comparisons is a great way to do this.
- The ideal length is 100-200 words but you can write anything up to the 1,000 character limit.
- Suggest similar books that people might want to read if they enjoy the book you're reviewing.
- Give your honest opinion. We welcome criticism as long as it fits within our 'house rules'.
We reserve the right to remove reviews that include distasteful, offensive or promotional content. To see our full list of house rules click here.