Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression, Second Edition: A New Approach to Preventing Relapse
$35.79 + FREE delivery
Short Description: This acclaimed work, now in a new edition, has introduced tens of thousands of clinicians to mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) for depression, an 8-week program with... Read more
This acclaimed work, now in a new edition, has introduced tens of thousands of clinicians to mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) for depression, an 8-week program with proven effectiveness. Step by step, the authors explain the "whys" and "how-tos" of conducting mindfulness practices and cognitive interventions that have been shown to bolster recovery from depression and prevent relapse. Clinicians are also guided to practice mindfulness themselves, an essential prerequisite to teaching others. Forty-five reproducible handouts are included. Purchasers get access to a companion website featuring downloadable audio recordings of the guided mindfulness practices (meditations and mindful movement), plus all of the reproducibles, ready to download and print in a convenient 8 1/2" x 11" size. A separate website for use by clients features the audio recordings only.
New to This Edition
*Incorporates a decade's worth of developments in MBCT clinical practice and training.
*Chapters on additional treatment components: the pre-course interview and optional full-day retreat.
*Chapters on self-compassion, the inquiry process, and the three-minute breathing space.
*Findings from multiple studies of MBCT's effectiveness and underlying mechanisms. Includes studies of adaptations for treating psychological and physical health problems other than depression.
*Audio files of the guided mindfulness practices, narrated by the authors, on two separate Web pages--one for professionals, together with the reproducibles, and one just for clients.
See also the authors' related titles for clients: The Mindful Way through Depression demonstrates these proven strategies in a self-help format, with in-depth stories and examples. The Mindful Way Workbook gives clients additional, explicit support for building their mindfulness practice, following the sequence of the MBCT program. Plus, for professionals: Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy with People at Risk of Suicide extends and refines MBCT for clients with suicidal depression.
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression, Second Edition Paperback edition by Zindel V. Segal
- Zindel V. Segal
- J. Mark G. Williams
- John D. Teasdale
- Guilford Publications
- Publication date
- Jul 25, 2018
- Edition Number 2; New edition
- Product dimensions
- 160 x 226 x 27mm
I. The Challenge of Depression
1. Depression Casts a Long Shadow
2. Why Do People Who Have Recovered from Depression Relapse?
3. Developing Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
II. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
4. Doing and Being
5. The Eight-Session Program: How and Why
6. The Preclass Participant Interview
7. Awareness and Automatic Pilot: Session 1
8. Kindness and Self-Compassion in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
9. Living in Our Heads: Session 2
10. Gathering the Scattered Mind: Session 3
11. Recognizing Aversion: Session 4
12. Inquiring into Practice and Practicing Inquiry
13. Allowing/Letting Be: Session 5
14. Thoughts Are Not Facts: Session 6
15. A Day of Mindful Practice
16. ""How Can I Best Take Care of Myself?"": Session 7
17. Maintaining and Extending New Learning: Session 8
18. Reprise: The 3-Minute Breathing Space as the Spine of the Program
III. Evaluation and Dissemination
19. Does Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Work?
20. How Does Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Achieve Its Effects?
21. Moving the Program Off the Page and into the Clinic: Supports for Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Instructors and Their Patients
1. Welcome and Introduction (0:30)
2. Raisin Exercise (9:13)
3. Body Scan (37:47)
4. 10-Minute Sitting Meditation--Mindfulness of the Breath (11:20)
5. Mindful Movement--Formal Practice (38:25)
6. Stretch and Breath Meditation (40:41)
7. Mindful Walking (32:24)
8. 3-Minute Breathing Space--Regular Version (4:08)
9. 3-Minute Breathing Space--Responsive Version (4:58)
10. 20-Minute Sitting Meditation (20:32)
11. Sitting Meditation (36:46)
12. Working with Difficulty Meditation (24:08)
13. Bells at 5 Minutes, 10 Minutes, 15 Minutes, and 30 Minutes (30:32)