NEWSPEAK in the 21st Century
$32.49 + FREE delivery
Short Description: Since 2001, Media Lens has encouraged thousands of readers to challenge the filtered and distorted version of the world provided by major newspapers and broadcasters. The media... Read more
Since 2001, Media Lens has encouraged thousands of readers to challenge the filtered and distorted version of the world provided by major newspapers and broadcasters. The media responses, collected in Newspeak, are an exposé of the arrogance and servility to power of our leading journalists and editors, starring Andrew Marr, Alan Rusbridger, Roger Alton, Jon Snow, Jeremy Bowen and even George Monbiot.
Picking up where the highly acclaimed and successful Guardians of Power (2006) left off, Newspeak is packed with forensic media analysis, revealing the lethal bias in "balanced" reporting. Even the "best" UK media -- the Guardian, the Independent, Channel 4 News and the BBC -- turn out to be cheerleaders for government, business and war.
Alongside an A-Z of BBC propaganda and chapters on Iraq and climate change, Newspeak focuses on the demonisation of Iran and Venezuela, the Israel-Palestine conflict, the myth of impartial reporting and the dark art of smearing dissidents.
NEWSPEAK in the 21st Century Paperback edition by David Edwards
- David Edwards
- David Cromwell
- Pluto Press
- Publication date
- Aug 6, 2009
- Product dimensions
- 155 x 208 x 17mm
1. No Conspiracy - Solving The Propaganda Puzzle
2. BBC Balance - The Magnificent Fiction
3. Back-To-Back Bias - An Incomplete A-Z Of BBC Propaganda
4. Climate Chaos - Keeping Madness Mainstream
5. Plan A/Plan B - The Downing Street Memo
6. Mind Your Methodology - Killing The 2004 Lancet Report
7. One Million Dead And Counting - The 2006 Lancet Report And Beyond
8. Bitter Harvest - Suicide Bombings In Britain, Spain And Iraq
9. Israel & Palestine - An Eye For An Eyelash
10. Real Men Go To Tehran - Targeting Iran
11. Iran In Iraq
12. Venezuela - Dousing The "Firebrand"
13. Liberal Press Gang - Behind The Scenes At The Independent And The Guardian
14. Brilliant Fools - Snarls, Smears And The Dark Art Of Willy-Waving
15. Compassion, Awareness and Honest Journalism