Propaganda Blitz: How the Corporate Media Distort Reality
+ FREE delivery
RRP $21.00 You save $2.48 (11%)
Short Description: We are all too familiar with the havoc the twenty-four-hour news cycle can wreak on political campaigns. Feeding on a haze of half-facts and a fog of moral outrage, the corporate... Read more
We are all too familiar with the havoc the twenty-four-hour news cycle can wreak on political campaigns. Feeding on a haze of half-facts and a fog of moral outrage, the corporate media is able to inflict maximum damage almost instantaneously. As David Edwards and David Cromwell show, these propaganda blitzes also have transnational outcomes, distorting the war reporting coming out of both right-wing and liberal media outlets.
Propaganda Blitz shows the damning effect of spin in UK media, not just in right-wing newspapers like the Sun, Times, Daily Mail, and the Express, but also in trusted liberal outlets like the BBC and the Guardian. The book uncovers a storm of top-down campaigns behind war reporting from Iraq, Syria, and Palestine, as well as the media's destruction of the credibility of figures on the left, including Jeremy Corbyn, Russell Brand, and Hugo Chavez. Exposing propagandists at the top levels of the BBC, as well as their reporting on the Scottish Independence referendum, the dismantling of the National Health Service, and looming climate chaos, Propaganda Blitz shows how the corporate media hide the real issues from the public view, often completely reversing the truth. Outlining a new model for anti-business media activism, the authors make an impassioned plea for a return to objective journalism.
Propaganda Blitz Paperback edition by David Edwards
- David Edwards
- David Cromwell
- Pluto Press
- Publication date
- Sep 20, 2018
- Product dimensions
- 164 x 194 x 24mm
Preface: The Devil's Greatest Trick
1. Anatomy of a Propaganda Blitz
2. Destroying Corbyn
3. Smearing Assange, Brand and Chavez
4. Israel and Palestine: 'We Wait in Fear for the Phone Call from the Israelis'
5. Libya: 'It is All About Oil'
6. Syria: Instant Certainty Promoting War
7. Yemen: Feeding the Famine
8. The BBC as a Propaganda Machine
9. Dismantling the National Health Service
10. Scottish Independence: An 'Amazing Litany' of Bias
11. Climate Chaos: An Inconvenient Emergency
12. 'Fake News', Objective Journalism and the No-Business Model