A Dark, Inclusive, Diverse and Magical Book
Reign of the Fallen WAS AN LGBT NECROMANCER FILLED DARK FANTASY NOVEL with the added bonus of zombies (!), stabbing (!), the Dead (!) and SO MUCH MAYHEM that I fell in love within the first thirty pages and I NEED MORE.
I’d been hearing the hype for Reign of the Fallen for a WHILE before I requested it and the lovely folks at PRH International sent it to me. It took me a while to pick it up from my overflowing TBR Pile but now that I did, I am completely in AWE of this STUNNING, BADASS novel and world.
Let’s break it down:
1. Reign of the Fallen OFFICIALLY holds the record for Book that Made Me Fall In Love The Quickest (EVER) because within thirty pages I’d already connected with Evander and Odessa and ALREADY fallen in love with them as individuals and together.
2. THIS BOOK BROKE MY HEART. I fell in love and then a third into the book, it managed to break my heart as well. This book had such a powerful representation of grief, depression and that black pit of hopelessness and Sarah Glenn Marsh’s writing really made you feel it all.
3. A HUGE YES FOR SOME BRILLIANT BI REP, and a world where loving WHOMEVER you wanted was accepted as the norm. We rarely ever see this in fantasy novels but I LOVED IT SO MUCH. Yes for inclusive worlds and a bigger yes for accepting characters.
4. The supporting cast in this book were all SUCH fun to get to know. I loved Jax, Simeon, Meredy, Valoria and everyone else and I honestly wish that we had MORE of them.
5. THE MAGIC IN THIS BOOK WAS STUNNING. There were so many kinds of mages including Weather mages, mages with Sight over animals and of course, Necromancers. I loved the politics and magic that were so prevalent in this book, especially the debate of whether the Dead should be brought back and I loved every second of it.
Reign of the Fallen is a brilliant, dark, inclusive diverse book with different magic, zombies, the living Dead and everything you’ve been looking for in a fantasy.