To be quite honest, my mind is in its own new kind of turmoil. I’ve deleted the rambling of this review a few times now, so this is my third (okay, fifth) to do this well:
REASONS I WANTED TO READ THIS BOOK:
1. It was pitched as a book PERFECT for fans of Jane The Virgin
2. It sounded like something I NEEDED to get my hands on!
WHAT I GOT FROM THIS BOOK:
1. It was sort of a third person encounter of EVERYTHING and I felt like it was sort of a narration, not a personal experience.
2. Other than being rich, having security and staff for everything, there was REALLY NOTHING about her mom in the book.
3. A LIAR AND A FOOL OF A MAIN CHARACTER who I spent about 60% of the book wanting to shake.
4. An entire discussion on racism playing out on my head.
WHAT I WANT TO YELL ABOUT:
Camilla Del Valle is a Mexican Girl who claims to be above the whole “Rich Kids of Mexico” thing but is really just one. All she wants is one friend who won’t sell her secrets out to the press or fangirl over her mom, a very famous telenovela star.
Until, that is, her mom makes the family move from Mexico City to LA and her life changes.
NOW, BY CHANGES DRASTICALLY I MEAN:
1. She is living in Beverly Hills (!)
2. She goes to a fancy prep school (!)
3. SHE LIES ABOUT WHO SHE IS, PRETENDING TO BE FROM A LOWER INCOME EARNING FAMILY BECAUSE IT’S LIKE SHE’S PLAYING A PART AND AAAAHHHH. (!!!)
I am SO SO mad about this. LIKE HOW COULD YOU? How DARE you insult people that are actually facing hard financial lives and DON’T HAVE CHAUFFERS, NUTRITIONISTS AND SECURITY GUARDS? How DARE you accept charity from your friends like $100 here and there and DESIGNER JACKETS? WHO ARE YOU?
WHAT WAS THAT BOOK?
Apparently, it was OH SO TOTALLY justified because her friends were racist (AGAIN, WHAT WAS THAT BLATANT RACISM?) and AAAH.
ACTUAL THINGS SAID/ ASSUMED/ LET TO ASSUME BY MC INCLUDE:
- Mother is a maid (TV Superstar) and father is a gardener (Voices Spanish Version of Iron Man)
- FATHER EARNS LESS THAN $25 PER HOUR because he’s a MEXICAN Gardener.
- Daughter works in the kitchen because she’s MEXICAN
- She can’t afford anything.
I’m so ANGRY at everyone in this book. ANGRY.
SERIOUSLY. Everyone in this book below the age of 20 (except Milly) deserved a GOOD SHAKE AND A REALITY CHECK.
2 stars and I don’t even know how I got through this book. NOT RECOMMENDED.