A Whirlwind Start to a Space Saga
I received an ARC from Harper Collins India in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.
If you don’t know it already, I LOVE BOOKS SET IN SPACE. I love spaceships, the inventions, the villains – EVERYTHING. Which is why, the minute I heard about Zenith, I knew it was a book I would be diving into.
Within less than a week of having it on my TBR, I reached for this book, unable to keep myself from the adventure in space it no doubt held for me. Before I dive into my thoughts on Zenith, I’d like to thank the lovely folks over at Harper Collins India for sending me an ARC of this book.
1. An all-girl criminal space crew called the Mauraders trapped in a dangerous mission where all the things they’ve been running from come out to play? THIS SYNOPSIS EXCITED ME SO MUCH. I was so eager to meet Androma Racella and the rest of her crew.
2. Unlike the resistance I feel with most Sci-Fi and fantasy books, I managed to slip right into Zenith’s world, and all of the Mirabel Galaxy. I did find a little hard to picture where each solar system was in the galaxy without a map in my ARC but I got used to it quite quickly.
3. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT THIS BOOK WAS TOLD FROM SO MANY VIEWPOINTS. I definitely would have enjoyed it less if it had been told just from Androma’s viewpoint because this book had so many different and interesting characters like Dex, Lira, Nor and Valen and reading through their points of view really let me get to know them.
4. While the book started off REALLY well, it sort of lagged in the middle. I couldn’t help but shake the feeling that the story was dragging and that there were a lot of scenes that could have been cut away from this book. I wish it had been MORE action filled like Nyxia or The Illuminae Files.
5. THE ENDING OF THIS BOOK, AND A CERTAIN TWIST THAT WAS REVEALED WAS MIND BLOWING. I don’t think I’ve fully processed what it all meant and what the very last scene means for the Galaxy as a whole but I LOVED THE ENDING. It was what I expected the whole book to be paced like.
6. While I liked all the characters, I didn’t connect with any one of them SPECIFICALLY. They were all nice and I liked the unravelling of their past, there was nobody that I felt that certain kinship with, and I hope that changes with book two.
A WONDERFUL start to a saga set in space, and I can’t wait to see where this series takes me next. 4 stars